Welcome to your site! This is your homepage, which is what most visitors will see when they come to your site for the first time.

Building surveys and inspections

You may be buying a property and require a survey to find out exactly what you are buying.

We also regularly carry out damp, defect and disrepair inspections and prepare reports.

Our surveys and reports can focus on your specific requirements. Typically, a building survey would concentrate on the construction of the property, its condition, recommendations for work required and an overview of the budget costs of the major works.


Party walls


Party walls are the walls you share with your neighbours.

You may need to follow the requirements of the Party Wall Act if you are carrying out works such as: extensions, damp proofing works, loft conversions or internal or structural alterations.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 ensures that property owners throughout England and Wales must follow the procedure when their building work affects a party wall or party fence wall or excavations are near neighbours’ walls.

An ‘agreed surveyor’ can act for both owners or each neighbour can choose their own surveyor. If problems arise, the surveyor/s will determine the remedy. The Act, if followed, gives you the right to carry out work on or next to party walls. It also protects the interests of others who could be affected by the works.

For works that affect the party wall, your party wall surveyor must give written notice to your neighbours at a set period before starting works. If you don’t get your neighbours written consent The Act allows for both parties to each appoint a surveyor or an ‘agreed surveyor’ who should act impartially. The surveyor/s will prepare an ‘Award’. This specifies the work that can be carried out and how and when it may be done. It will also record the condition of the neighbouring property before work commences. Generally, the building owner who started the work pays for all expenses.

If damage occurs the surveyor/s can order that repairs are carried out or that the cost of the repair is to be paid.

Tree reports

You may need tree reports for a planning application or to check that any planned work will not damage existing trees that are important to you or local authority planners.

This could involve exposing the tree roots to see if they are near planned digging work for a new basement or inspecting and measuring the protection zone needed for trees near proposed building works.

We carry out inspections and prepare reports and can liaise with tree officers and planning officers.


Arboricultural consultancy

As a Chartered Arboriculturist and Forester, Robin Howorth is registered as a Consultant with the Institute of Chartered Foresters.

We carry out all tree related consultancy services, such as:

BS 5837 – Arboricultural implication surveys for planning applications
Tree safety assessments
Subsidence reports
Planting and design
Management advice
Property pre-purchase reports
Woodland and forestry guidance